We support Clusters of Congregations with Creation Care Teams to meet twice a year for volunteer leaders to share inspiring projects with one another along with their challenges and successes
- Down Town Minneapolis Green Congregations – contact John
- Eden Prairie Congregations Caring for Creation
- Bloomington – Green Congregations Coalition
- Dakota County
Guide for Congregations Taking Climate Action
Check out our new guide for congregations taking climate action with practical steps:
Four Levels of Action – Reducing CO2:
- Your congregation’s building
- Your congregation’s members
- Your community (including other congregations and your city)
- Our state, nation, and world
Community Solar Gardens – Your congregation and members can join our Community Solar Garden at: http://afors.org/faithcommunitysolar/
Master Water Stewards – Please invite interested volunteers from your congregation to apply online to join the 2016 Class of Master Water Stewards at: http://masterwaterstewards.org/become-a-master-water-steward/
10,000 Salty Lakes: A Seminar for Residents – Salt from our roads, parking lots, and driveways is polluting our lakes and creeks. Thanks to all that joined the December 2015 Nine Mile Creek Watershed District and Greg Wilson from Barr Engineering to learn more about the problem facing our local water bodies and what you, as a local resident, can do to help! This seminar took place at the Minnetonka Community Center and was sponsored by Nine Mile Creek, Minnehaha Creek & Riley Purgatory Bluff Creek Watershed Districts, and the City of Minnetonka.
More Resources and Past Events
Fall 2015 Workshop – Greening Your Congregations, Water Wise – Pax Christi Catholic Church, 12100 Pioneer Trail, Eden Prairie, MN 55347
Learn about successful rain garden projects and simple steps we can all take at home to protect our lakes, streams, and ground water. Meet active volunteers from other congregations in Minnetonka, Eden Prairie, and the West Metro. The event is co-sponsored by and will feature speakers from the Arboretum, Nine Mile Creek & Riley Purgatory Watershed Districts, Cities of Minnetonka and Eden Prairie, Oak Grove Presbyterian and Family of Christ Lutheran, Pax Christi Catholic Church, and the Alliance for Sustainability.
Spring 2015 Watershed & Energy Stewardship – Workshops with Congregations
(Individuals or teams) Please plan to bring a team of 2 or more volunteers so you can catch both second hour sessions on energy and watershed stewardship.
Spring into Green Resource Fair – Saturday March 14, 2015, Midtown Global Market, Minneapolis, MN: www.doitgreen.org
Lutheran Church of Christ the Redeemer – Thursday March 19, 2015, 5440 Penn Ave S, Mpls MN 55419: www.lccronpenn.org with the TRUST Congregations
Maple Grove Lutheran – Tuesday March 24, 2015, 9251 Elm Creek Blvd, Maple Grove, MN: http://mglc.org
MWMO Office (North & NE Mpls) – Thursday March 26, 2015, Mississippi Watershed Management Organization Office, 2522 Marshall St NE, Minneapolis, MN 55418: www.mwmo.org
St. Luke Presbyterian, Minnetonka – Monday April 13, 2015, 3121 Groveland School Road, Wayzata, MN 55391: www.stluke.mn
- Learn from successful projects from other congregations
- Find great resources for your Earth Week Celebrations!
- Find ways to save money on your congregation’s energy and fun and practical actions for your congregation’s members.
- Learn about free energy audits for your congregation from Enerchange and low cost home energy audits for your members with MN CEE.
- Learn how to buy affordable solar power for your congregation and your congregation’s members through Community Solar Gardens.
- Learn how congregations can protect their watershed by installing rain gardens, adopting watershed friendly summer and winter maintenance and engaging their members to take action at home and in their yards.
- Take a Walking Tour of the host congregation to see opportunities for rain gardens on their property with Brett Emmons of EOR, Inc.
- Learn how to access matching project funds from your watershed district and low-cost design help
Linking Congregations in Communities & Denominations – Volunteers from congregational green teams come together in lively networking events to share their successful rain garden, community garden, energy efficiency, and waste reduction projects. With your support we will continue our 2014 successes in such communities as Bloomington, Southwest Minneapolis, Edina, Minnetonka, White Bear Lake, Mahtomedi, Roseville, Falcon Heights, Saint Paul, and Downtown Minneapolis. We are also supporting volunteers working to care for creation through their congregation to form networks of mutual support within the Lutheran, Catholic, Jewish, and other faith communities in Minnesota.
Watershed Stewardship – Help engage your staff, volunteers, and members to protect our lakes and creeks with your congregation’s property and at home. We can link your congregation with a Master Water Steward to speak at a forum, tour your congregation’s property to look for next steps for water quality and help your members take action at home. We are engaging congregations in the 9 Mile Creek, Minnehaha Creek, and Shingle Creek Watersheds with support from a Hennepin County Green Partners Grant and local watersheds.